Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Year

I've been a busy bee lately. I spent the holidays up in the Sacramento Valley, first recovering from a supremely inopportune 24-hour bug (what's a day-long car ride without some vomiting?), then board gamin' with family, and finally lots of reading and lounging. After that I spent some days in the company of Best Friend Who Has Forsaken Me For Brooklyn, who was visiting family out in the wilds above LA. Though all the expanses of Joshua trees would have made great photos, we mostly stayed in and watched Planet Earth.

Since getting home I have been scrambling to see friends while they were briefly in town, and in the past few days I have spent a lot of time staring at the contents of my closet and only hypothesizing about packing. But pack I finally did, and tomorrow I head for greener pastures.

For all the moving around I've done in the past few years, it is pretty amazing how just six months of hometown complacency have stripped me of confidence in my ability to start over. Tomorrow I drive a few hours up the coast to a new home, new friends, and new wardrobe remix photo backgrounds.

Here's to new beginnings in 2009!

No comments: